Venue: St Andrew's Date: Thursday, 26 August Kick-off: 1945 BST
Birmingham are expected to make changes and are without defender Stuart Parnaby, who is sidelined with a hamstring injury.Veteran striker Kevin Phillips is out with a thigh problem.
Rochdale have included Josh Thompson in their squad after signing the defender on a season-long from Celtic.
Thompson did not receive clearance in time to face Colchester at the weekend, but has been given the green light to play at St Andrew's.
• This is the first ever competitive meeting of Birmingham and Rochdale.
• Birmingham have won their first match in the League Cup in each of the last six years.
• They were last knocked out in the second round in 2003, when Blackpool beat them 1-0 at Bloomfield Road. That was also the last time Birmingham were eliminated by lower division opposition.
• Victory would give League One Rochdale a place in the third round of the League Cup for the first time since they were runners-up in 1961/62.
• Dale beat Barnsley in the last round - only their second win in the League Cup in the last nine years.